Friday, October 17, 2008

Microwaveables

A general strategy I try to follow in all aspects of my life is simply to simplify. I don't blow dry my hair, I've canceled all my magazine subscriptions, and I clean most my house with only vinegar. With few exceptions, this saves my pocketbook, the environment, my health, and my sanity in one way or another. This is certainly true of microwaving non-microwaveable oatmeal and popcorn.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a fantastic breakfast. It's good for your cholesterol, it's filling, and with enough milk and fruit, it's a great balanced meal to start the day. It's also super easy and quick to prepare from almost nothing.

I am the world's least morning person and yet I roll out of bed every morning and feed Not Michael Landon, so I need things simple (I'm prone to temper tantrums when things don't go my way before coffee. I'm not kidding.). I have a drawer outfitted with all necessary oatmeal supplies and I cook both our bowls at the same time.

Instant non-instant oatmeal

Ingredients:
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c plus a splash water
Suggested flavorings and toppings, optional: cinnamon, brown sugar, maple sugar, honey, sliced fruit, berries, milk.

Directions:
1. In a cereal bowl, combine rolled oats and water (no mixing required, just give the bowl a little jiggle).
2. Microwave for 1:15.
3. Remove and stir - be careful, the bowl can be really hot.
4. Microwave for another 1:15.
5. Stir again and serve.

You can add flavorings whenever suits you. Try it out and see what you like best as there will be slight taste differences if you cook the flavorings with the oatmeal, especially with milk and fruit. Also experiment with the amount of water you add, cooking time, and serving size. Oatmeal consistency is a highly personal preference, so use this as a guide to see what works for you.

Cost comparison:
Premium instant: Quaker Hot Cereal Oatmeal, $0.47 per 1.5oz packet.
Store brand instant: Safeway brand Hot Cereal Oatmeal, $0.30 per 1.5oz packet.
Bulk non-instant: Safeway brand Hot Cereal Quick Oatmeal (42oz container), $0.13 per 1.5oz serving size.
Savings: up to $0.34/serving minus cost of flavorings
Additional benefits: your oatmeal won't be stuffed with fillers and artificial sweeteners and HFCS like the store-bought packets. Also, there's always oatmeal on hand if you get a hankerin' for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

If you're still really sold on the ready-to-go packets (though adding a few flavorings is no big deal - it does not induce temper tantrums), you can dole out a serving of oatmeal and its flavorings into individual baggies beforehand. You have to like your sugars cooked with the oatmeal, and promise me you'll reuse the baggies.

Popcorn

On to the fun stuff. As long as you don't add too much fat, popcorn is a very healthful snack. 31 calories for a whole cup! And super filling - it's basically fiber and air.

Brownbag Popcorn
adapted from Instructables

Ingredients:
1/4 c loose popcorn kernels
canola oil spray, optional
salt, optional

Directions:
1. Take a brown paper bag, open the bag, and pour in your serving of loose kernels.
2. Fold over the flaps like the standard brown bag lunch at least three times, small folds are better.
3. Microwave until the popping slows to about once every 2-3 seconds. This is 2 minutes on my relatively new unit.
4. I flavor with a couple sprays of canola oil and a few pinches of salt. You can use other sprays, a little butter, or those flavor shakers. I tried Parmesan cheese once, which clumped into a ball, but it could probably work if you're careful.

Cost comparison:
Premium microwaveable: Orville Redenbachers Smart Pop Mini Bags, $0.50/bag
Store brand microwaveable: Safeway brand fun size microwaveable popcorn, $0.47/bag
Bulk: Safeway brand popcorn kernels, $0.09/serving, plus Safeway brand brown paper lunch bags, $0.02/bag
Savings: up to $0.40/serving
Additional benefits: no risk of popcorn lung

No comments: